Grapefruit diet for weight loss
Resorting to weight loss fad diets for quick weight loss is a common practice all around the globe and the popularity of various weight loss diets rises and falls from time to time. There are many Bollywood celebs who claim to have experienced weight loss by following fad diet plans and it is their words on media that often catapult a diet plan to the peak of fame. One such diet plan that has been in fame since 1930’s is the Grapefruit weight loss diet plan
The Grapefruit diet is quite popular amongst the weight watchers and comes with multiple variations these days. Each of the grapefruit diet variations strictly restrict calories and are significantly low in carbs. The diet plan has as its foundation the belief that the citrus fruit, Grapefruit is steeped in fat burning enzymes that are powerful enough to burn down the excess pounds in your body and make you slim in just no time. Grapefruit thus is considered a miraculous fruit for weight loss.
Grapefruit Diet Plan: What is the plan all about?
The Grapefruit Diet Plan derives its name from ‘Grapefruit’; a kind of healthy tart fruit with very high content of Vitamin A, Vitamin C. Also, Grapefruit has a very high fiber content and low calorie count which is why it is often considered as one of the best fruits for weight loss. The fiber in grapefruit is said to help in appetite suppression. Vitamin C in Grapefruit helps you lose water weight and detoxifies your system to pave the way for paced up metabolism. Also, grapefruit heals inflammation within your body thereby helping in weight loss. Intake of grapefruit as juice or pulp post each meal is the key highlight of the Grapefruit weight loss diet plan. The calorific intake per day should not be more than a total of 1000 calories as per the rules of this diet plan. The diet plan emphasizes on the intake of protein rich foods, low carb foods and grapefruit juice. Grapefruit diet may be differently referred to as ‘Hollywood Diet’ or ‘Mayo Clinic Diet’. Publication of a book titled as ‘The Grapefruit Solution’ in the year 2004 talked about the great weight loss value of consuming grapefruits.
The general time span allotted to Grapefruit diet plan is 10 to 12 days and the common claim is that you can lose nearly 10 pounds by following this diet plan for 10-12 days. In other words, it is a diet plan that is expected to bring about dramatic weight loss for the obese people.
Foods allowed by the diet
When you are on Grapefruit diet, you are free to eat the following foods:
- High protein foods such as eggs, red meat, chicken, bacon, pork
- Low calorie veggies
- Low calorie fruits
- Healthy fats such as avocado, nuts etc
Foods allowed by the diet
- When you are on Grapefruit diet, you are barred from eating the following foods:
- Carbohydrates such as pasta, potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice
- Processed grains
- White bread
- White Onion
- Bottle gourd
- Dairy products
- Fizzy drinks
Other instructions, Do’s & Don’ts
- Stay away from ready-to-eat meals and packaged foods
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily.
- Don’t cook your meals in aluminum vessels, pots or skillets
- Stay away from foods that are extremely cold or hot
- Protein based meals and starchy meals should be consumed at a time interval of 4 hours.
- Use of butter, spices and salad dressings during food preparation is allowed.
- No other beverage other than coffee and tea is allowed.
- You are restricted from taking any snack in between meals
- You can consume not more than 3 meals per day.
- Make sure that the grapefruit juice you drink is ‘unsweetened’
- No need to do exercises when you are on grapefruit diet
- Always consult your dietitian or doctor prior to embarking on the grapefruit diet journey.
Sample Grapefruit Diet Meal Plan for Non-Vegetarians
Sample Grapefruit Diet Meal Plan for Vegetarians
Advantages of Grapefruit Weight loss Diet
The various advantages of this weight loss diet plan are as follows:
- Your immune system will grow stronger as a result of the diet
- You’ll experience dramatic slimming. Thus, this diet is good for people who wish to slim down on short notice.
- Improved digestion, better bowel movements and lesser fat absorption due to high fiber intake
- Detoxified body and enhancement of overall fitness
- Boosted metabolism for boosted weight loss
- Development of lean muscles and increased fat loss due to high protein intake
- Respite from unwanted inflammation and bloated look
- Decreased rate of damage from free radicals
Risk Factors you need to consider
As grapefruit diet cuts down calories strictly, you may experience lethargy and weakness. So, avoid doing any type of strenuous task during the on-diet days. Also, if you are on certain medications such as antihistamines, statins, antidepressants and antiarrhythmic, you should not opt for Grapefruit diet plan as grapefruit tends to react with such medications and reduce their effectiveness. Grapefruit diet is also not meant for women who are pregnant.
More Article you May Like to read as