Walnuts The Tasty and Nutritious Way for Weight Loss
There are different ways to lose weight. People put themselves on a starvation diet only to binge later on. Some try eating only raw vegetables or steamed vegetables but give up halfway because the food becomes unpalatable after a while. Those who can go in for workouts, which, after all, is the way to burn fat but it does require effort, perseverance and also diet control. You can do this and also eat something nutritious as well as tasty for weight loss and that is walnuts. It may appear contradictory that this nut type, full of fats can help in weight loss but it is true. Find out how and why.
This nut is actually a seed of the Juglans Regia tree. 30 grams of these shelled nuts contain:
Protein 4.3 grams
Carbohydrates 3.9 grams
Fats: 18.5 grams
Sugar 0.7 grams
Fiber: 1.9 grams
Calories: 185 mainly due to high fat content.
The important thing that distinguishes this nut from other types is the high amount of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids. Omega 6 is linoleic acid and Omega 3 is Alpha Linolenic Acid known as ALA. ALA is very good for the cardiovascular system and improves blood circulation resulting in better metabolism.
In addition these nuts are rich in copper, folic acid, phosphorus, calcium, iron, magnesium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E and Manganese.
These nuts also contain phytonutrients like catechin, Ellagic acid and melatonin. Melatonin regulates biorhythm and also works as an antioxidant. Phytic acid is another antioxidant present in walnuts.
Health benefits of walnuts
- Walnuts keep your heart healthy and reduce risk of diabetes.
- Apart from the above phytochemicals, this particular nut also contains tellimagrandin, quinone juglone and morin flavonoid that keep you safeguarded against cancer besides improving liver function.
- Eating just 30 grams of walnuts each day helps prevent risk of stroke.
- Sexual health improves with regular consumption of these nuts.
- These nuts eliminate LDL cholesterol and improve HDL cholesterol levels.
How walnuts help you lose weight
- As can be seen walnuts are high in fats but these are the healthy kind of fats.
- High amount of fat and fiber in these healthy nuts keeps you feeling satiated for a long time. This means you do not suffer hunger pangs and can last a long time without munching on weight adding junk foods. You have higher levels of energy and the body too burns more calories even when you are resting.
- The flavonoids and phytonutrients in this nut type help to remove toxins and improve metabolism.
- If you consume this healthy nut variety then your brain automatically controls appetite. This is what Olivia M Farr of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston found after conducting trials on obese patients. In short, consuming these healthy nuts helps you to build up resistance and overcome cravings. It was also found that eating these nuts led to people automatically choosing to eat healthy foods.
- It is believed that Omega 3 helps in burning body fat.
Simple way to curb appetite with walnuts
One of the simplest ways to use these healthy nuts to curb appetite and thereby reduce intake of food is like this:
- Eat about four shelled walnuts a half hour before meals. Drink a glass of warm water. The “good” fats in these nuts travel through the intestines and the pyloric sphincter muscle in the stomach constricts. This means whenever you eat, you feel fuller sooner and you will not feel like overeating or gorging on food.
- You will find that you will feel full after a light meal. Stop eating when you feel full.
Different ways to consume walnuts and keep on losing weight
Walnuts can be eaten plain and with other foods. Make sure you consume these nuts for at least five days a week.
- Start your day with these healthy nuts. Eat about 30 to 50 grams of walnuts for breakfast. You will feel full and energized. After three days you will notice that your hunge pangs reduce, you eat less and yet you stay active.
- If you do not have the time to munch these nuts you can simply add some water and give it a whisk in the blender. The smoothie will go down well and keep you energized.
- Starting your day with these nuts is one of the best ways to lose weight over time. However, you can just as well enjoy walnuts in other ways. One way is to prepare a salad of fresh green leafy vegetables, carrots, onion, grated ginger, a few green chillies and beetroot. Top this with walnuts.
- By five or six in the evening most people feel like having a bite of something. This is when you can enjoy a smoothie made with these healthy nuts to keep your tummy happy.
- Carry a few walnuts in your handbag. You can work and, in between, if you feel hungry, munch on a handful of these nuts.
Help walnuts help you lose weight
Walnuts are beneficial and help you lose weight. However, this does not mean that you have a licence to eat as much as you like or eat what you like. You need to help these nuts help you lose weight:
- Eat healthy and avoid sugar, fried foods and foods made of refined flour.
- Eat more of fresh fruits and vegetables and less of rice and wheat. The more protein you include in your diet, the better it is. Vegetarians can go for lentils and beans. Non-vegetarians may opt for fish and chicken.
- Keep drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
- Sleep for 8 hours
- Try to avoid tea, coffee and fizzy soft drinks.
Exercise. There is no substitute for it. Your body must get into fat burning mode and for this you will find it beneficial to start the day with exercise. Walnuts help improve fat burning
More Article you May Like to read as